Thursday, May 14, 2009

you're the closest to heaven..

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. I think that we meet people and people come into our lives for the better. Right now, I'm feeling nostalgic. I was thinking about the first time Mike and I first met, I remember him coming to the store for groceries and him stopping by the bakery to talk to Sue. I thought he was the hottest boy I've ever seen. He was tall and skinny with some muscles and he had big ears. He was the complete opposite of every other boy I've had a crush on. When I actually talked to him for the first time, I thought he was a complete arrogant asshole No joke. He was rude and said stupid little snide comments and I didn't like him from there on. That was until, he got his baker job back.. and I would waltz in the back to see what was being made for the day and to talk to Mama Carolyn. I would prance around like I owned the place and Mike was just there to work. It wasn't HIS bakery anymore. I called the shots. I whined to get out of machine cookies and muffins, and I was good at what I did. We fought A LOT. It was all in fun. Never anything serious because I always had Mama on my side and she would tell Mike to stop being an asshole. But slowly that month, the looks at each other got longer and the wanting to be near each other grew deeper. I would get giddy when I went to work in the morning. I would make sure to put on just a little bit more mascara. Just to make sure I looked good.

Now, I think that I should say.. I had a boyfriend. A fishing, hunting, backwoods boyfriend. We had been fighting for months before this. He asked me to marry him and I said I couldn't and I ran like the wind. I made every excuse to not be home.

Mike was always there. I could always run to his house a few streets over. I ran there one night, he came down the road and greeted me with the best hugs. We hung out for hours. I got to learn about his life in Japan and growing up. We listened to all our favorite songs, "Iris" "Romeo and Juliet" and I put my head on his shoulder and he held me and I knew right then, I never wanted to leave that spot. I never wanted to leave him.

I broke up with my boyfriend, and lived with my friend Lara. It all seems kinda blurry. I went to work and came home and drank at the river with her, every night Mike would come over and sleep on the hide-a-bed with me. I don't think I've ever not slept so much in my life. But I love every passionate night with him, and falling asleep in his arms. Nothing else in the world mattered but that smile, his face and those ears.

It seems crazy to think that all this happened just 2 years ago. I feel like I've known him forever. He is my best friend. He knows every little thing about me. He knows when I'm lying and when I'm sad. He can tell what I'm thinking by just looking at me. We can talk to each other from across the room with just a stare. He truly is my other half. On tuesday, we will be married for a year and half! And baby, we are going strong.

No comments: